LOUISVILLE, KY, June 06, 2006 – Hunger is a huge, growing and yet invisible problem in America today. One in five children is at risk of going to bed hungry each night. The problem is especially acute for children when demand for food peaks during the summer months when school is out and they no longer receive subsidized breakfast or lunch. In the Louisville area alone, 55,000 children are in jeopardy of not getting a square meal when school is out.
“It is unacceptable that even one child could go hungry in our community this summer,” said David C. Novak, Chairman and CEO, Yum! Brands, Inc. “We’re proud to be a major partner with Dare to Care Food Bank and attack hunger head-on through important initiatives such as our employee-driven Hunger Relief Marathon,” said Novak.
“Thanks to Yum! Brands’ partnership as a leading corporate sponsor since 2002, we’ve been able to generate greater awareness and dramatically expand our outreach efforts throughout the 13 counties we serve in Kentuckiana,” said Denton Randall, Director of Development, Dare to Care Food Bank. “We’ve doubled the number of Kids Café’s to 19, improved food delivery to our 29 distribution centers, expanded Patrol Against Hunger with the Louisville Metro Police Department to feed housebound elderly, and created a new Back Pack Buddy program to help feed children in need.”
Dare to Care’s new Back Pack Buddy Program, launched in 2004, provides children in need with a backpack every Friday during the school year containing a weekend supply of nutritious food and snacks. The children return the backpack every Monday morning so that they can receive more food on Friday. The goal of the program is to provide children in need with nutritious, supplemental meals and snacks for the weekends when they don’t receive subsidized breakfast or lunch at school. Today over 400 children from three schools in Bullitt County and six schools in Jefferson County participate in the program.
Hunger Relief Marathon Activities
- Over 100 Yum! Brands employees will rally at Dare to Care Food Bank in Louisville on National Hunger Awareness Day to pack a record-breaking goal of 70,000 pounds of food in just six hours to help prepare for the increased demand for food from children this summer.
- The company has created a city-wide can drive with donation barrels at drop-off points geographically dispersed at Yum! Brands restaurants throughout the city so the community can participate in the fight against hunger.
- Yum’s more than 1,800 Restaurant Support Center employees in Louisville are holding a cereal drive to help ensure that children in need can have breakfast throughout the summer.
Since 2002, Yum! Brands Foundation has committed $1 million annually to Dare to Care Food Bank, a Metro United Way agency, in the fight to end hunger in Kentuckiana.
The funding has enabled Dare to Care Food Bank to:
- Double the number of Kid’s Café’s to 19, feeding over 100,000 meals to children in need.
- Improve food delivery to Dare to Care’s 29 distribution centers.
- Start an innovative program called Patrol Against Hunger in partnership with the Louisville Metro Police Department to provide food to housebound elderly.
- Start a new program called Back Pack Buddy to provide children in need with a backpack every Friday during the school year containing a weekend supply of nutritious food and snacks.
- Increase volunteer network with addition of more than 1,800 Yum! Brands Louisville-based employees.
Yum! Brands Partnership with Dare to Care Bank forms the single largest hunger relief effort in Kentuckiana today. This is another step in Yum! Brands’ on-going commitment to feed people in need. Through its restaurants, Yum! donates nearly 12 million pounds of wholesome prepared food to the needy children and families each year in communities all across the country.
Dare to Care Food Bank is the largest food bank in Kentuckiana, delivering seven million pounds of food to over 90,000 needy people a year. Dare to Care’s food is distributed through over 400 non-profit agencies in a 13 county area spanning Kentucky and Southern Indiana. Dare to Care Food Bank also operates 19 Kids Café sites which serve over 100,000 meals a year to at risk youth.
Yum! Brands Foundation is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. The Foundation’s goal is to make a difference in the lives of Yum! Brands customers and families by giving back to the community. The Foundation financially supports charities working in the areas of hunger relief,youth education and the arts.