LOUISVILLE, KY, JUNE 7, 2005 – Hunger is a huge, growing and yet invisible problem in America today. One in five children is at risk of going to bed hungry each night. The problem is especially acute for children when demand for food peaks during the summer months when school is out and they no longer receive subsidized breakfast or lunch. In the Louisville area alone, 55,000 children are in jeopardy of not getting a square meal when school is out.
“It’s unacceptable that even one child could go hungry,” said David C. Novak, Chairman and CEO, Yum! Brands, Inc. “We are tackling the issue head-on through our employee-driven Hunger Relief Marathon and city-wide canned food drive,” said Novak.
“Thanks to Yum! Brand’s partnership as our leading corporate sponsor since 2002, we’ve been able to generate greater awareness and dramatically expand our outreach efforts,” said Denton Randall, Director of Development, Dare to Care Food Bank. “We’ve doubled the number of Kid’s Café’s feeding over 100,000 meals to children in need and improved food delivery to Dare to Care’s 29 distribution centers.”
Hunger Relief Marathon Activities
- Chairman and CEO David Novak and his senior leadership team kicked off the company’s hunger relief efforts at the Dare to Care Food Bank warehouse by packing 10,000 pounds of food an hour for children in need.
- Over 100 Yum! Brands employees will rally at Dare to Care Food Bank in Louisville on National Hunger Awareness Day to pack a record-breaking goal of 70,000 pounds of food in just eight hours to help prepare for the increased demand for food from children this summer.
- The company has created a city-wide can drive with donation barrels at drop-off points geographically dispersed at Yum! Brands restaurants throughout the city so the community can participate in the fight against hunger. Last year, the community donated over 3,000 pounds of food in just one day.
- Yum’s more than 1,800 Restaurant Support Center employees in Louisville are holding a cereal drive to help ensure that children in need can have breakfast throughout the summer.
Since 2002, Yum! Brands Foundation has committed $1 million annually to Dare to Care Food Bank, a Metro United Way agency, in the fight to end hunger in Kentuckiana. The funding has enabled Dare to Care Food Bank to:
- Double the number of Kid’s Café’s to 18, feeding over 100,000 meals to children in need.
- Improve food delivery to Dare to Care’s 29 distribution centers.
- Start an innovative program called Patrol Against Hunger in partnership with the Louisville Metro Police Department to provide food to housebound elderly.
- Increase volunteer network with addition of more than 1,800 Yum! Brands Louisville-based employees.
Yum! Brands Partnership with Dare to Care Bank forms the single largest hunger relief effort in Kentuckiana today. This is another step in Yum! Brands’ on-going commitment to feed people in need. Through its restaurants, Yum! provides more than seven million pounds of wholesome prepared food to the needy children and families each year in communities all across the country.
Dare to Care Food Bank is the largest food bank in Kentuckiana, delivering seven million pounds of food to over 90,000 needy people a year. Dare to Care’s food is distributed through over 400 non-profit agencies in a 13 county area spanning Kentucky and Southern Indiana. Dare to Care Food Bank also operates 18 Kids Café sites which serve over 100,000 meals a year to at risk youth.
Yum! Brands Foundation is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. The Foundation’s goal is to make a difference in the lives of Yum! Brands customers and families by giving back to the community. The Foundation financially supports charities working in the areas of hunger relief, youth education and the arts.
Yum! Brands Inc., based in Louisville, Kentucky, is the world’s largest restaurant company in terms of system restaurants with nearly 34,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries and territories. Four of the company’s restaurant brands — KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Long John Silver’s — are the global leaders of the chicken, pizza, Mexican-style food and quick-service seafood categories respectively. Yum! Brands is the worldwide leader in multibranding, which offers consumers more choice and convenience at one restaurant location from a combination of KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, A&W or Long John Silver’s brands. The company and its franchisees today operate over 2,900 multibrand restaurants. Outside the United States in 2004, the Yum! Brands’ system opened about three new restaurants each day of the year, making it one of the fastest growing retailers in the world. For the past two years, the company has been recognized in Fortune Magazine’s top 50 “Best Companies for Minorities,” claiming the number-one spot for “managerial diversity.”