Yum! In The News
News by Year
News by Brand
For your convenience, we have archived all of Yum! Brands' statements and press releases since our company's inception in 1997. To view an archived press release, please select a 'year' or 'brand' from the list above.
Yum! Brands Issues 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report: “Serving the World”
Provides Updates on the Company's Global Social, Environmental and Economic Goals
LOUISVILLE, KY, December 16, 2010 – Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE:YUM), the world’s largest restaurant company and parent of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and KFC, announced the release of its online 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report titled: ‘Serving the World’.
‘Serving the World’ examines Yum! Brands’ social, environmental and economic impact based on Company and external shareholder expectations and provides progress updates since the first report was issued in 2008. The Report includes new features, including video messages from senior leaders regarding Yum! Brands’ CSR initiatives and commitments in four areas: “About Us”, “Our Food”, “The Environment” and “Our Heart”, providing information pertaining to the Company’s culture, nutrition, environmental sustainability and community giving, respectively.
“Our commitment to corporate social responsibility is helping us achieve our vision of building The Defining Global Company that Feeds the World,” said David Novak, Chairman and CEO, Yum! Brands, Inc. “We’ll make this goal a reality over time by building a famous recognition culture where everyone counts, making our brands dynamic and vibrant everywhere and demonstrating we’re a company with a huge heart.”
“We believe that our strongest impact and contribution to sustainability lies in the critical parts of our business – the success and diversity of our associates, feeding people, health and nutrition, our supply chain, the environment and community development. Our ability to make a positive difference in the lives of people throughout the world is virtually unlimited and we are energized about how much more we can contribute to Serving the World,” Novak added.
Highlights from the 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report include:
World Hunger Relief
- Yum! Brands’ World Hunger Relief movement, the world’s largest private sector hunger relief effort, has raised nearly $85 million for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and other hunger relief agencies, providing nearly 350 million meals since its launch in 2007.
- Yum! and its brands are focused on providing environmentally preferable packaging around the globe. The U.S. brands use napkins made from 100 percent recycled content and have molded fiber drink cup carriers that are 100 percent recycled content. In September 2010, KFC U.S. became the first quick–service restaurant to introduce a reusable food side container which was recently honored as a winner in the 2010 Greener Package Awards. By 2011, KFC U.S. will reduce foam packaging use by 62 percent and reduce total plastic use by 17 percent. In addition, Pizza Hut U.S. utilizes up to 50 percent recycled material in its pizza boxes and Taco Bell has eliminated more than 2 million pounds of materials from select packaging.
- In the last two years, the Company’s U.S. brands have reduced energy consumption by 8 percent resulting in the elimination of over 60,000 metric tons of CO2 from the atmosphere. This is equivalent to removing 11,000 cars from the road.
- Over the last five years, Yum! has reduced its utilities usage by over 20 percent, greatly reducing the Company’s carbon footprint by installing environmentally friendly lighting, heating and air conditioning systems, and other lower energy restaurant equipment.
- Yum! has achieved a more than 13 percent reduction in energy usage in all U.S. company–owned restaurants through the application of numerous energy conservation measures, resulting in the elimination of more than 111,000 metric tons of CO2 per year from the atmosphere. The Company’s goal is to reduce energy and water usage in its restaurants around the world by 10 percent each by 2015.
- Yum! opened its first two green restaurants in the U.S. and the United Kingdom, which have become a model for its sustainable restaurant design. The restaurants, each designed to use 30 percent less energy and water than a conventional building, also cut CO2 emissions, reduce waste going to landfills/incinerators and educate visitors and employees on sustainable design. The Company’s goal is to develop 5 LEED certifiable (or other country specific third–party validation) restaurant prototypes/standards across China, U.S., and Yum! Restaurant International (YRI) business divisions by 2012.
Health & Nutrition
- The Company provides balanced menu options available to consumers through offerings such as KFC’s Kentucky Grilled Chicken and Taco Bell’s Fresco Menu featuring seven items with nine grams of fat or less. The Company has converted cooking oils to zero grams trans fat per serving in most countries. Yum! also helps promote a balanced lifestyle and physical activity through its website KeepItBalanced.com.
- Outside the U.S., the vast majority of the Company’s markets – including the U.K., France, Australia, the Netherlands, Germany and China – provide nutrition information via websites and other communications. Yum! is committed to working with international franchisees to provide this information in all restaurants and websites worldwide.
- Yum! is making continuous and meaningful reductions in the level of sodium in food across all brands across the globe. For example, Taco Bell U.S. has reduced sodium by 20 percent in the past the two years. KFC U.S. has removed a million pounds of salt annually from its menu.
- KFC in Australia and New Zealand has implemented a sodium reduction initiative, removing more than 85 tons of salt from the diet of its consumers in the region and KFC in the United Kingdom has reduced sodium by up to 45 percent on some menu items. Pizza Hut has been testing significant reductions in sodium in core products in Korea, Canada and Australia. Reductions of up to 50 percent have been achieved and the Company is looking to extend globally. YRI has also created a grilled line of products for KFC and is rolling out the line throughout international markets.
- Over the past three years, the China KFC Health and Nutrition Fund has funded research and education programs related to food, nutrition and city residents. A total of two million RMB (approximately $300,000 USD) is donated each year to support programs nationwide. In 2004, KFC China launched a national youth three–on–three basketball tournament, the most popular and largest corporate–sponsored sports program in Chinese history. The program, now in its 7th season, is the world’s largest grassroots basketball program with more than 167,800 participants making up 30,100 teams across more than 480 cities. KFC China also has an entire line of healthy, roasted foods, soups and seasonal vegetables.
The complete interactive 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report is available at www.yum.com/csr.
Yum! Brands, Inc., based in Louisville, Ky., is the world’s largest restaurant company in terms of system restaurants with more than 37,000 restaurants in more than 110 countries and territories. The company is ranked #216 on the Fortune 500 List, with revenues of nearly $11 billion in 2009. Four of the company’s restaurant brands – KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Long John Silver’s – are the global leaders of the chicken, pizza, Mexican–style food categories and quick–service seafood categories. A&W Restaurants is the longest running quick–service franchise chain in America. Outside the United States, the Yum! Brands system opened more than four new restaurants each day of the year, making it a leader in international retail development. The Company has consistently been recognized for its reward and recognition culture, diversity leadership, community giving, and consistent shareholder returns.
The releases contained on this page may contain dated information. Readers are cautioned that the releases on this page are maintained here solely for the purposes of providing historical background about Yum! Brands, its business and product offerings. As the releases may contain dated information, they should not be relied upon as providing accurate or current information. Yum! Brands disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any of the information contained in any of the releases on this page, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Yum! News 2011
December 16, 2010 Yum! Brands Issues 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility Report: “Serving the World”; Provides Updates on the Company's Global Social, Environmental and Economic Goals
December 15, 2010 Yum! Brands’ World Hunger Relief Raises Record–Breaking $24.5 Million in Donations to Help United Nations World Food Programme and Other Hunger Relief Agencies Provide More Than 98 Million Meals to Help End World Hunger; Nearly $85 Million Raised by World Hunger Relief over the Past Four Years
September 23, 2010 Yum! Brands, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC Launch Annual World Hunger Relief Effort with Campaign Spokesperson and New World Food Programme Ambassador, Christina Aguilera; Aguilera Spotlights Visit to WFP Relief Mission in Haiti and Urges Others to Join Her Help 1 Billion Hungry People by Going to www.FromHungerToHope.com
September 21, 2010 ‘Muhammad Ali Center Peace Gardens’ Established to Teach Underprivileged Children Multicultural Respect and Nutrition Through Gardens; Yum! Brands Foundation Underwrites Peace Garden Initiative as Extension of its World Hunger Relief Effort
September 20, 2010 Yum! Brands on Track to Beat Five–Year Clinton Global Initiative Hunger Relief Commitment to Raise $80 Million and Help World Food Programme Provide 200 Million Meals to School Children in Developing Countries; Yum! Raises $42.5 Million and Provides 170 Million Meals in Two Years as Part of World Hunger Relief Effort This Fall
September 03, 2010 Pizza Hut Named Most Trusted Food Service Brand in India by The Economic Times for the Sixth Year; KFC India Receives Recognition in Top Food Service Brands
June 28, 2010 Yum! Brands Recognized by Black Enterprise Magazine’s “40 Best Companies for Diversity” List for Sixth Consecutive Year
May 04, 2010 Yum! Brands Promotes Sam Su to Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Yum! China Division and Mark Chu to President and Chief Operating Officer, Reporting to Su; Su retains position as Vice–Chairman, Yum! Brands Board of Directors
April 19, 2010 Louisville Downtown Arena Officially Becomes KFC Yum! Center-Yum! Brands, LAA, Team Services Announce Long-Term Arena Naming Rights Agreement
April 09, 2010 Yum! Brands Recognized in Corporate Responsibility Officer Magazine’s “100 Best Corporate Citizens” List
March 24, 2010 Yum! Brands International Division Opens First Taco Bell in India; Yum! is Largest and Fastest Growing Restaurant Company in India and Building Taco Bell into Third Powerhouse Global Brand
March 17, 2010 PR Week Announced Yum! Brands’ World Hunger Relief Initiative to Raise Awareness, Volunteerism and Funds Wins Top Honor as “Cause–Related Campaign of the Year 2010”
January 29, 2010 World Food Programme Names Yum! Brands Partner of the Year for World Hunger Relief Effort to Help End Global Hunger
January 27, 2010 Muhammad Ali and Christina Aguilera Raise Funds for United Nations World Food Programme Relief Efforts in Haiti by Appearing in Global PSA
January 26, 2010 Yum! Brands Environmentally-Friendly KFC and Taco Bell Restaurant Features Solar Wall Renewable Energy Technology
January 14, 2010 Yum! Brands Directs $500,000 to Haiti Through Its World Hunger Relief Effort